Treatment for Ants
Ants are a common household pest in Melbourne. They can travel long distances in search of food and water, and even the cleanest homes can have a problem. Once they have targeted your house or business, they can invade in large numbers. Most are a nuisance when they infest kitchens and other rooms, and some inflict bites.
A handful of DIY products can provide short-term relief, but others can worsen the problem. Getting rid of the insects once and for all requires professional help.
Pro Pest Control Melbourne is a leading pest control company offering a fast and discreet ant control service. Our pest control technicians are trained to the highest standards to eliminate them and prevent them from returning.
Why Ants Are Considered Pests
They are considered nuisance pests, which means they´re annoying rather than destructive or dangerous. Nobody wants to see large numbers scurrying around their floors. Some build nests in walls, and although they don’t cause any structural damage, a few species may attack electrical wiring for unknown reasons.
While most don´t pose a serious health threat, some, such as bull, have painful bites which may cause an allergic reaction.
How We Treat Ants
We provide a quick and reliable ant control service to homes and businesses across Melbourne. Whether you have a small problem developing or a major infestation, we can help.
Our experienced technicians will thoroughly inspect your property´s interior and exterior to locate nest sites. Inside, we´ll check doors, windows, kitchens and carpet edges, amongst other places. Outside, we´ll study lawns, other vegetation areas, foundational walls, and more.
Inside, we´ll leave baits in areas of movement and activity. Ants feed on it and take pieces back to the queen, where they´re transferred throughout the colony. Soon, the entire nest is eliminated.
We´ll use surface spray a non.-repellent insecticide around the perimeter and entry points to prevent them from entering your house.
We will perform a final interior and exterior inspection to ensure the treatments have done their job and that they have been wiped out.
We´ll also provide you with advice on protecting your house or business against future ant infestations.
Common Species in Melbourne
Australia is a place to more than 1,300 different ant species. Among the most common in Melbourne are:
- Carpenter Ants (Camponotus sp) – this common species can cause a lot of damage to your wooden structures. Their typical body size is from 3 millimetres to 12 millimetres.
- Coastal Brown Ant (Pheidole megacephala) – these rapidly reproducing insects are also known as big-headed ants. They are golden-brownish and typically grow to no more than 5 millimetres.
- Bull Ant (Myrmecia gulosa) – also known as bulldog and jumper ants. This aggressive species can bite and sting humans.
- Argentine ant (Linepithema humile) – typically measures about 2.2 to 2.8 millimetres long, and their appearance ranges from light to dark brown. They feed on oily household foods and sweets.
Common Signs of Infestation
How Do You Know If You Have An Ant Problem?
Infestations don´t happen by chance. The creepy crawlies are always hunting for food and water sources, and your house is ideal for their needs. And like other household pests, they enter properties in any way possible. For example, through cracks in foundations, gaps around doors and holes in window screens. Among the most common signs of an infestation are:
- You see a handful of insects roaming around your house. These could be worker ants hunting for food sources.
- You see sawdust or wood shavings. Carpenters build lair in wood, and their burrowing efforts leave behind sawdust. They don´t eat the wood.
- Rustling noises. If you have a carpenter ant infestation, you may hear noise between your barrier at night. This is when they are at their most active.
- A line of ants following a pheromone trail.
- Discarded wings.
- You may notice small piles of soil or dirt outside your residence. These could be ant nests.
How To Keep Ants at Bay: DIY Control and Prevention Tips
- Seal all possible entry points, such as cracks and gaps.
- Cinnamon disrupts ant pheromone, so sprinkle powdered cinnamon at entry points. Consider other natural remedies such as white vinegar and diatomaceous earth.
- Use a dehumidifier in damp areas such as basements.
- Eliminate water sources that can attract them. Fix leaky pipes and regularly check under sinks for moisture areas.
- Keep your kitchen clean and tidy to help discourage them from coming indoors. Sweep and mop floors, wipe down sticky jars, keep ripe food in the fridge and pick up spills immediately.
- Keep food in sealed containers and avoid having open packages in your kitchen cupboards.
- Clean your gutters. Over time they begin to fill with leaves, twigs and other debris, as well as stagnant water. These are ideal breeding grounds for them.
- If you have pets, store their food at night in sealed plastic containers.
- Trim back plants and trees, so they do not touch your house. This stops them from using them to get inside.
- Regularly mow your lawn to keep the grass short.
- Remove fruit that has fallen onto the ground around trees.
- Trim the bases of bushes and shrubs so you can clearly see underneath them. This eliminates moist, shaded areas where they like to hide.
- Keep outdoor rubbish bin as far away from your yard as you can, and ensure the lids fit tightly.
- Regularly wash your rubbish can with an ammonia solution.
How long do ants live?
Scientists have determined that they can live for up to one year, while the queen can live for up to 15 years.
What causes an ant infestation?
They enter homes in search of water. Food spills, crumbs and sticky spots can all lead to an invasion. But some causes are not your fault at all. For example, wide range of ants will seek shelter during heavy rains and stormy weather.
Where do ants come from?
They are found on every continent except Antarctica. Outdoors, they usually nest in underground anthills or inside trees.
How can you eliminate ants if you´ve discovered an infestation?
The most effective way is to hire pest control experts like us.
Why Choose Us
- Victoria Health Licensed Pest Technicians
- Locally owned Melbourne based company
- 6 month warranty on internal ants control
- Eco-friendly ant treatment and Safe for Children and Pets
- Australian Environmental Pest Managers Association Member
- Affordable and we will match any price
- 15 Years of Experience
- 100% Guaranteed satisfaction
- Free Advice and Quotes
Ant Control Services
- Ant Control
- Sugar ants, brown ants, block ants
- External and Internal Treatment using Termidor
- Existing infestations of Ants will require additional treatments
- Central Suburbs
- Melbourne CBD
- South Yarra
- Eastern Suburbs
- Northern Suburbs
- Western Suburbs
- Mornington Peninsula