White Ant Control
Protection and Treatment for White Ants
White ants and termites are the same things, wood-destroying insects that can devastate homes and businesses. They are so called because of their physical resemblance to ants, but they’re actually more closely related to cockroaches.
White ants are social creatures that live and work in colonies. They eat nonstop, 24/7, every day of the year. And if they´re not detected early, can cause extensive and expensive property damage.
Pro Pest Control Melbourne provides fast, effective and affordable white ant control services to homes and businesses across Melbourne. Our highly experienced and trained technicians use their knowledge and skills to detect the source of infestations and eliminate the problem quickly.
Why White Ants Are Considered Pests?
White ants are notorious pests because they can damage the structural wood of your home. Unlike pests such as spiders, mosquitoes and rodents, white ants can eat away at a building until it collapses. The insects will also chew through furniture, brick, plaster and just about anything else they can get their mandibles on. According to estimates, white ants infest between 130,000 and 180,000 homes in Australia annually, and the average repair bill is around $10,000.
If you have a white ant infestation, you should take action as soon as possible.
How We Treat White Ants
Our rigorous white ant control process is designed to ensure that we quickly eliminate the bugs and their colonies from homes and commercial premises.
We´ll conduct a thorough inspection of your property´s interior and exterior. This enables us to identify if there´s an infestation, its extent and the white ant species responsible.
If we discover white ants on or in your home/work premises, we´ll devise a customised plan to eliminate the insects and wipe out their colonies. This can include constructing chemical termite barriers, applying termiticides to active areas and placing termite baiting systems.
We´ll carry out regular monitoring to ensure the treatments are working and that we have successfully eradicated the insects. As part of our service, we will also give you some useful tips to keep white ants away from your property for good.
Common White Ant in Melbourne
The most common white ant (termite species) plaguing homes and businesses in Melbourne are:
- Asian subterranean termite (Coptotermes gestroi) – a small termite species that lives underground. These voracious feeders are soft-bodied insects with a dark brown to black top body part and an underside that is caramel colour to brownish yellow.
- West Indian drywood termite (Cryptotermes brevis) – is an invasive species commonly found in pine structures and cabinet woods made of maples, silky oak and red cedar. Soldiers have a white body 4 to 5 millimetres long, while alates have a medium brown body and are around 11 millimetres long with wings.
- Eastern subterranean termite (Reticulitermes flavipes) – live in the ground and feed on organic materials. In homes, they can be found in crawl spaces, basements, walls and other damp areas. They can live in huge colonies with up to one million members.
- Tree termites (Nasutitermes walkeri) – are highly destructive insects that initially nest in the crowns of trees. Soldier tree termites have yellowish-brown bodies, rounded heads and are between 5 and 7 millimetres long.
- Dampwood termites (Zootermopsis angusticollis) – as the name suggests, this termite species infest wood with high moisture content, such as fence posts, logs, stumps and dead trees. They have a creamy white to brownish body which is long, narrow and oval.
Common Signs of Infestation
How Do You Know If You Have A White Ant Problem?
White ants are masters at staying hidden. They can cause thousands of dollars of property damage while the occupants of a building are blissfully unaware of what is happening under their feet or in the walls surrounding them. Therefore, it´s vital to know what to look for to spot a white ant infestation before it takes hold.
Here are some tell-tales signs that you could be sharing your living or working spaces with the destructive critters.
- Damaged timber, such as uneven or weak wood.
- Discarded wings.
- Clicking signs from inside walls.
- Mud tubes. These structures connect white ant colonies to their food sources.
- You see droppings, which are technically known as frass. They resemble wood-like pellets.
- Wooden structures like window frames begin to warp and become difficult to open.
- Solid timber structures are hollow. White ants eat from the inside out and consume as much as they can.
How To Keep White Ants at Bay: DIY Control and Prevention Tips
- Reduce the availability of white ant food sources, such as wood and paper, around the home.
- Ensure any firewood is stored off the ground away from your home.
- Remove any old tree stumps from your garden.
- Seal cracks and gaps.
- Ensure any wooden fence posts, panels and decking on your property are treated to be white ant resistant.
- Get rid of excess moisture in your home or business. Pay attention to any leaks and if you´re in a humid environment, invest in a dehumidifier.
- Declutter your house of old boxes, magazines, newspapers and cardboard packaging.
- Try natural alternatives to keep white ants out. For example, essential oils, diatomaceous earth, salt and white vinegar.
- Treat wood with an effective termite repellent such as borate. Apply before priming or painting.
- Ensure proper landscaping so that water doesn´t accumulate near the foundations of your home or business.
- Schedule regular termite inspections with a reputable pest control company such as Pro Pest Control Melbourne.
How do white ants enter houses?
White ants can enter through extremely small cracks in a house´s foundations or bricks, via wood-to-ground contact areas such as door frames and by being carried in wooden objects brought into the home.
Other common access points include:
How many white ant species are there in Australia?
More than 300 white ant species have been identified. Most of them are not harmful to buildings.
When is white ant season?
White ants are active throughout the year but swarm during the spring and summer months when the temperatures are warmer.
Why Choose Us
- Victoria Health Licensed Pest Technician
- VIC Licensed for Chemical Treatment
- Trained and Experienced Timber Pest Technicians
- Commercial Pest Management and White Ant Control
- $20 000 000 Public Liability Insurance
- 20 Yrs Experience
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- Eco-Friendly Bait Products
- Free Quotes
- On-Site White Ant Inspection
- Barrier of Baiting Protection Treatment
- Prevention of Future Outbreaks
- Residential and Commercial Treatments
- Central Suburbs
- Melbourne CBD
- Inner City -South Yarra, Prahran, Richmond, Essendon, Collingwood
- Eastern Suburbs and South East
- Northern Suburbs
- Western Suburbs
- Mornington Peninsula
Talk with us at Pro Pest Control Melbourne for free advice.
Call us on 03 4062 5000.