Treatment for Fleas
A flea infestation can happen at any time, even if you don´t have pets. The tiny blood-sucking insects can be carried by lots of animals such as rabbits, foxes, squirrels, rats and humans too!
Once inside your home, they can infest carpets and furniture. They can also bite and transfer diseases. they lay eggs constantly, every few hours and can quickly swarm a house if not treated properly. Therefore if you have spotted one in your home, act fast and call professional pest control services.
Pro Pest Control Melbourne is fully qualified to tackle your flea pest problems. We have many years of successful flea pest control service experience behind us and know how to protect your home and business from pests.
We´ll work with you on a customised plan to rid the inside and outside of your home from nuisance.
Contact us now at 03 4062 5000.
Why Fleas Are Considered Pests
They are considered pests for several reasons. They can cause dermatitis (a fleece inflammation) in cats and dogs and even transmit tapeworms. For humans, the tiny pests can cause minor fleece irritations in most people. Others may suffer a severe infection from an infestation. If children accidentally eat it, they may develop a tapeworm infestation. Flea debris can also cause an allergic reaction.
How We Treat Fleas
Our effective flea control treatment eliminates them at all stages of their lifecycle, from eggs and larvae to adult fleas.
Our three-stage removal entails:
After receiving your call, our trained and knowledgeable and experienced technicians will come to your home and inspect all interior and exterior areas for signs of infestation. We’ll also examine your pets.
We apply treatments to places where they have been or are still active. We use pesticides that kill them by affecting their nervous system, along with insect growth regulators that disrupt the development of flea larvae and eggs.
We’ll conduct a walk-through of your property’s interior and exterior to ensure the common household pests have been wiped out.
As part of our service, we will also give you some useful tips to keep them away from your property for good.
Common Flea Species in Melbourne
The most common species found in Melbourne are:
- Cat flea (Ctenocephalides felis) – this is the most common flea type in Melbourne. It´s commonly found on cats but also feeds on rats, dogs and other mammals. Adult cat fleas range from 1-2 millimetres long.
- Dog flea (Ctenocephalides canis) – lives on a variety of mammals, including dogs, cats and occasionally humans. Adults can grow up to 4 millimetres in size.
- Human flea (Pulex irritans) – despite its name, this species has a range of hosts in addition to humans. For example, dogs, monkeys, cats, chickens and rats. Adults can grow up to 4 millimetres in size.
Common Signs of Infestation
How Do You Know If You Have A Flea Problem?
They are tiny biting bugs that are challenging to locate. They tend to hide in furniture, bedding and floor cracks. When they hop onto your pet’s fur, they prefer to stay on its underbelly. Consequently, they can be easily transferred to carpets when the animal lies down. If you’re concerned about a female flea infestation in your home, here are some of the most common signs to look out for.
- Your pets are licking, scratching or biting their fur excessively.
- You notice dark specks on your pet’s that don’t move. These may be flea faeces.
- Flea bites that leave your pet’s body red and irritated.
- Sudden hair loss in your pets.
- Small bite marks around your ankles.
- Shed flea skins on your carpets and soft furnishings.
- You see them. They are very small at around 1 to 4 millimetres in size, but you may see them hopping around.
How To Keep Fleas at Bay: DIY Control and Prevention Tips
- Regularly vacuum carpets, rugs, cushions and sofas.
- Regularly clean pet bedding with soap and water.
- Brush and wash your pets regularly.
- Limit the amount of contact your pet has with stray and wild animals.
- If you have a yard/garden, keep the grass mowed and shrubs trimmed back. This provides them with fewer places to hide.
- If your pet has long hair, consider shaving it during the summer. This makes it easier to spot any flea problems.
- Empty vacuum cleaner bags frequently. You could also place a flea collar in the bag to kill any fleas you might have picked up.
- Regularly use reliable tick treatments on the pets in your house. Ask your vet about the most suitable products.
- If you are doing work in the garden/yard, change into another set of clothes in the garage before coming inside.
- Sprinkle diatomaceous earth on the floor. It dehydrates them and their larvae and doesn’t contain chemicals that can harm children or pets.
Are fleas parasites?
Yes, they are. They need to live on animals and people to survive, although they can live in the grass sometimes because it provides shelter and moisture.
Where do fleas come from?
In most cases, the blood-sucking pests enter homes by hitching a ride on pets and people.
Do fleas have wings?
No, they don’t. However, they make up for this deficiency with powerful hind legs for jumping on hosts.
Do fleas carry diseases?
Yes, they do. These flightless are carriers of tapeworms, hookworms and roundworms. They are transmitted when bites a host, such as a cat or a dog. The animal chews its fleece to deal with this irritation and may ingest the flea.
Are fleas dangerous to humans?
No, fleas aren’t dangerous to humans. However, if you are allergic to their saliva, you may get a rash if they bite you.
How do fleas end up in several parts of my home?
We help them along. When fleas lay eggs on their hosts (dogs, cats, humans), they’re not sticky like the pupal stage, so they easily fall off their host wherever they go.
Why Choose Us
- Victoria Health PMT Licensed Pest Technicians
- $20 Million Public Liability Insured
- Local Melbourne Based Business
- Eco-friendly Treatments Safe for Family, Dogs and Cats
- Australian Environmental Pest Managers Association Member
- Fast and Reliable Flea Extermination
- 20 Years Pest Control Industry Experience
- 100% Customer Focused Staff
- Free Quotations
Flea Control Services
- Flea Control
- End of lease flea treatments from $99
- Move out pest control
- Central Suburbs
- Melbourne CBD
- Inner City -South Yarra, Prahran, Richmond, Essendon, Collingwood
- Eastern Suburbs and South East
- Northern Suburbs
- Western Suburbs
- Mornington Peninsula
Make a booking
Contact Pro Pest Control Melbourne today to make your booking.
Phone us on 03 4062 5000.