Mosquito Treatment and Prevention
Mosquitoes are more than just a quick-slap annoyance. The tiny insects also transmit a range of serious diseases and viruses that may have fatal consequences. Not only do they carry diseases that can affect humans, but they can also pass on illnesses and parasites to dogs.
If your business or home is troubled by mosquitoes, Pro Pest Control Melbourne can help. Our team of fully trained and qualified technicians will deal with your insect problem promptly, professionally and efficiently. We provide targeted treatments that combine advanced technologies and methods to eliminate the biting insects.
Eliminating a mosquito infestation is one pest removal task that you should always leave in the hands of experts.
Let us defend your home or business against the unwanted pests.
Why Are Mosquitoes Considered Pests?
They are considered pests because they are efficient vectors for infectious diseases, some of which are fatal to humans. A vector is an insect or animal that transmits pathogens to other animals or humans. Among the diseases they carry are malaria, yellow fever, West Nile virus and dengue fever.
The diseases are typically transmitted when a female mosquito injects a small amount of saliva containing chemicals to stop a host´s blood from clotting while feeding.
How We Treat Mosquito Infestations
We offer comprehensive mosquito control services to homes and businesses throughout Melbourne. We follow our tried and tested three-step mosquito control process.
One of our technicians will thoroughly inspect your home and garden/yard. They’ll identify pest activity and any potential mosquito breeding spot/hiding places. Among the areas we check are doors, windows, roofs, walls, terraces, floors, sub-floors, long grass, weeds and standing water. After the inspection, we’ll compile a mosquito treatment plan for your property.
This includes eliminating or reducing water sources, killing existing larvae before they become adults and killing existing adults. We use a variety of treatments, such as fogging and insect growth regulators, known as larvicides. Our mosquito control treatments are safe for you, your family and your pets.
This is to determine our regular treatment plan’s effectiveness and remove dead mosquitoes that can attract other insects.
We will also provide you with prevention tips so mosquito season won’t bother you again.
Common Mosquito Species in Melbourne
The most common types found in Melbourne are:
- Anopheles annulipes S.I – medium-sized parasites that can transmit malaria and heartworm viruses.
- Aedes vigilax – a major pest in coastal areas that can transmit Murray Valley encephalitis, Ross River virus and Barmah Forest virus.
- Aedes notoscriptus – a common backyard blood sucker with banded legs and a proboscis (long, tube-like structure extending from the head) with a white band. It can transmit Zika, Dengue and Chikungunya pathogens.
- Aedes camptorhynchus – this common species is responsible for transmitting Ross River virus.
- Culux annulirostris – also known as the common banded mosquito. This serious pest can transmit encephalitis virus, etc., among others.
- Culux quinquefesciatus – a medium-sized mosquito native to Australia that transmits Murray Valley, encephalitis, Barmah Forest virus, etc., among others.
Common Signs Of Infestation
How Do You Know If You Have A Mosquito Problem?
They are one of the most common insect pests and can be found in most parts of the world. The blood-sucking insects can’t fly very far, so if you find one in your home, there are likely more nearby.
Here are four tell-tale signs that you might have a mosquito problem.
- High-pitched buzzing sounds within your home.
- You are getting bitten. This is one of the most obvious and unfortunate signs.
- More scratching at night. Often, it can bite you during the day, and you won’t notice it. But at night, the marks can flare up and become itchy.
- You can see several mosquitoes hovering in the shaded parts of your yard or garden.
How To Keep Mosquitoes Out Of Your Home: Top Tips
- Keep your garden well maintained. Long grass and overgrown vegetation provide the perfect hiding places for them.
- Invest in fans. Not only will a fan cool you down, but the wind it generates will blow the mosquitoes away. The insects are weak and can struggle even when wind speeds are slow.
- Get rid of standing water or, at the very least, cover up these mosquito magnets. Areas of it include pet bowls, buckets, watering cans, drains, swimming pools, old tyres, tarpaulins and bird baths.
- Install insect screens. You can still open your doors and windows to let fresh air in without worrying about being invaded by mozzies.
- Consider natural mosquito solutions to keep the insects out. These include camphor oil, coffee grounds, garlic and peppermint.
- Treat water features. Here are a few ideas to keep mosquito population away from liquid features such as pools and fountains:
- Regularly clean fountain
- Run fountains so that the water is moving
- Place mosquito-repellent plants (i.e., lavender, citronella, rosemary and mint) close to spring
- Sprinkle cinnamon on the water
- Chlorinate your pool. This will make the water less appealing to natural predators.
- Crush a few garlic cloves, add to water and boil. Then put the solution in a spray bottle and squirt the liquid around rooms.
- Light citronella candles or use citronella essential oil in an oil diffuser.
- Porch lights draw in adult mosquitoes, so turn them off or replace white lights with yellow ones.
What smells do mosquitoes hate?
Among the scents mosquitos hate are vanilla, vinegar, coffee and lavender.
Do mosquitoes bite?
Technically they don’t bite. They jab your skin with a long proboscis to suck up blood.
Why do mosquitoes feed on blood?
Only female mosquitoes ‘bite’ to obtain blood. They need the protein and iron in blood to make their eggs in a period of time.
How many species are in Australia?
Australia is home to more than 350 species of mosquito. Some are rare, and only a few are considered major pests.
How much blood do mosquitoes take when they feed on a host?
The insects can take anywhere from 0.001 to 0.01 millilitre, according to the American Mosquito Control Association.
Why Choose Us
- Licenced Pest Control Technicians from Victoria Health
- Public Liability Insured
- 100% Guaranteed Job Satisfaction Every Time.
- Range of Eco Friendly Treatments and Prevention Plans
- 15 Yrs Pest Control Experience
- Fully Qualified and Trained in Mosquito Removal
- We arrive on time or we’ll notify you of any delays
- Competitive Pricing
- Free Quotes
Our Professional Services
- Mosquito Barriers
- Affordable Mosquito Control Treatment
- Prevention of Future Outbreaks
- Modern Technology & Equipment
- Commercial and Residential Pest Treatment Packages
- Central Suburbs
- Melbourne CBD
- Inner City -Soiuth Yarra, Prahran, Richmond, Essendon, Collingwood
- Eastern Suburbs and South East
- Northern Suburbs
- Western Suburbs
- Mornington Peninsula